8.27.2010

Collegiate A Cappella

One of the first things I knew I wanted to do when I got to college was join an a cappella group. The University of Rochester has four groups, two of which are guys only, one all-women group, and one co-ed group. I knew I absolutely did not want to be in the all-girls group, but I auditioned for it and the co-ed group. I received a call back for each. I was told I'd find out if I'd gotten in on a Saturday. I waited all day, refreshing and refreshing my email. Around midnight, I finally gave up hope that I'd gotten in. I started to change into PJ's when someone knocked on my door. I finished getting dressed, and opened the door. The entire Co-ed group was standing outside my door. Some one blew a pitch pipe, and they all started singing "Stand by Me." All the freshman in my hall came running, circling around and taking pictures. At the conclusion of the song, I was swallowed into a gigantic group hug by my new a cappella group. That was one of the best nights of my freshman year.

Everything looks better from the outside. The group definitely had it's fair share of organizational issues. At the end of my freshman year, I decided to run for Administrative Director. I really wasn't expecting to win. I had run for office in high school, but never came close to getting elected. However, I found myself the new Administrative Director, in effect, the president. My first year in that position was a challenge. I had to figure everything out as I went along, because all old AD's had graduated. However, I really think that I did well, and helped push the group to achieve higher heights. I ran again at the end of last year, and no one ran against me. Now I know what to expect, and I really think all the responsibility I took on last year has made me a more organized person in general, and a better leader. I started preparing for orientation months in advance, reserving rooms for auditions, reminding other executive board members what needed to be done, typing up audition sign up sheets, and responding to people requesting us to sing at various events.

The thing I am most looking forward to is auditions. This Sunday is the annual a cappella interest meeting, where all the groups perform a small set in front of a group of interested freshman, and after which the students can sign up to audition for their group of choice. Auditions begin Tuesday, and end Friday, when we will choose who to call back for a second audition on Saturday. After call backs, there is a huge debate about who to take, and then we send the musical director and another eboard member to a meeting with the other groups. There, each group announces which freshman they would like to take. If there is any overlap between the groups, a third party will call the student and ask which group they'd rather be in. Because of this, we are really almost auditioning for those auditioning for us. I know I probably would have cried if I didn't get in to the co-ed group, and only the girls group.

Auditions are fun and rewarding. We get an opportunity to meet some new freshman, publicize ourselves, hear (sometimes) really great talent, and pick students that will improve our group. My favorite part is when we go to their doors and sing them in!

A little bit about my group: I'm in After Hours. The music we sing is arranged by anyone in the group, and it can be any song. Individual solos are auditioned for and voted on. Here are some songs from our youtube channel:











Shea makes an appearance in this one. We were a parody of the group called The YellowJackets. We are the YellowPants.

No comments: