4.03.2011

Options

There are so many things I've wanted to be in my life. I used to be dead set on being an astronaut. I wanted to be the first person to set foot on Mars. That middle school phase past and then I decided I wanted to be an environmental scientist. I really had no idea what that entailed. I thought maybe it had something to do with animals and nature. I entered the U of R as and EVS major. However, before I even took one class, I decided that based on the course descriptions of the required classes this was definitely not the major for me. I switch to Brain and Cognitive Sciences. I had always just known I would go into some sort of science. I thought the brain was awesome and I hadn't had an opportunity to learn much about it, so this seemed perfect. Then I switch to Neuroscience. I was dead set on getting my Ph.D. and becoming a famous researcher, cracking the secrets to what makes music so enjoyable. I hated the courses. I knew that wasn't a passion. My passion wasn't even science related. I had shoved it aside for years, considering it was just a "hobby."My passion was in the arts, and creative endeavors. When I switched to a Studio Arts major, I felt liberated.

While this semester's courses aren't exactly inspiring, I know I'm in the right field. The problem now is that there are too many options, and I don't have any more passion for one option over the other.

I could be a painter, have my own studio, maybe even open a little gallery.

I could take up photography. I love photos. I love the way they capture the world. I could take portraits, wedding photos, or whatever else photographers do.

I want to try sewing. I could make my own clothes. I could sew bags and pillows or maybe try to make a quilt.

I've always thought of opening my own coffee shop somewhere. It would be peaceful and well decorated, and maybe I'd have a little gallery inside, or a shop where local artisans could sell their goods.

I could also always continue Phoenix Henna and get a little more serious with it.

Maybe I could take more pottery lessons and get good enough to make a living off of that.

Or maybe I could do administrative work at an art co-op or museum or try any combination of the above.

I don't know which ones I would love more, and I don't know if any of these paths would even make a living.

I have no idea how to choose, and being the type of person who always has a plan, I hate that I have no clear path for what is going to happen after May 2012.

No comments: